The University of Pretoria is a research intensive university. Hence, it is seeking candidates for doctoral studies who will make significant contributions to its research endeavour. As part of South Africa’s contribution to the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan, the University of Pretoria has made funds available for two doctoral scholarships for students coming from Commonwealth Countries (excluding South African students). This scholarship is known as the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship and will be awarded on a competitive basis.
- The UP Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship will be awarded to applicants who are citizens of Commonwealth countries.
- Applicants must conduct their studies at the University of Pretoria to commence in 2020.
- Applicants must have completed the degree that will give them admission to a doctoral programme no more than two years prior to their application for the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship.
- Applicants must not be older than 35 years of age at the time of application.
- PhD and Masters students currently registered at the University of Pretoria are not eligible for the Doctoral Scholarship.
Value of Doctoral Scholarship
- The value of this Doctoral Scholarship will be R170 000 p.a.
This amount must be used to cover the following student costs:
- Accommodation and living costs
- Fees p.a.
- Medical Aid
Research costs will be covered by the Supervisor
Additional costs covered by the University:
- Flight ticket to RSA from home country on proof of study permit.
- Return flight ticket to home country at the end of the programme as confirmed by the faculty.
- Shuttle service on arrival in South Africa from OR Tambo International Airport to Pretoria and return from Pretoria to OR Tambo on completion.
How to apply
In order to be considered for this scholarship, candidates must submit the following documentation to the University of Pretoria;
- Application form for the UP PhD Commonwealth Scholarship
- Attached to the application form the following:
- The UP Online application Ref “T” number or 2020 student number (if available)
- A written motivation from the prospective Doctoral supervisor that applicant will be supervised by them and research funding is available.
- An outline (one A4 page), of the proposed research work.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) – no more than 3 pages
- Proof that study leave will be granted if the scholarship is awarded. (if applicable)
- Copy of passport
- Full academic transcripts of all qualifications obtained. (not certificates)
- Above documents to be sent as a single pdf to Leanne.email@example.com
- Subject Heading : UP Commonwealth
- 2x completed reference forms from two different academics/supervisors who have current knowledge of the applicant’s academic performance. (Reference form attached)
Note: Referees form to be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline:2 September 2019
For more information, please visit: https://www.up.ac.za/funding/2808710/2020-up-doctoral-commonwealth-scholarship