The United Nations Foundation have announced its 10th annual press fellowship to the opening of the 74th session of the UN General Assembly – the annual gathering of heads of state at the UN headquarters in New York. The fellowship will take place from September 21 to September 25, 2019. A stipend will be provided to cover travel, lodging costs, and meals. Participating journalists will have access to exclusive briefings on the issues that impact lives around the world, including a special focus on climate change.
This September in New York, governments, climate scientists, and young people will come together to assess progress on these issues. This press fellowship will take place alongside key events, including:
- The UN Secretary-General’s Climate Action Summit, which will bring together leaders to ramp up climate action in support of the Paris Agreement.
- The UN Youth Climate Summit, where hundreds of young people will come together to share solutions for climate action.
- Global student climate strikes.
- The launch of the Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
- The Sustainable Development Goals Summit, which marks the first UN summit on the Sustainable Development Goals since they were adopted in 2015.
- A high-level meeting on Universal Health Coverage, where leaders will come together to support affordable health for all.
Selected journalists will have direct access to UN experts and activists on the frontlines of global progress. This fellowship is intended for journalists who are interested in foreign affairs, health, justice and equality issues, climate change, and the work of the United Nations to address global challenges. We welcome applications from journalists reporting from all countries and filing across all platforms.
Application deadline: Monday August 5, 2019.
The fellowship will take place from September 21 to September 25, 2019. For more information, please contact Serena Jiwani at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here