The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is issuing this Request for Proposal (RFP) and will be the
administrative lead organisation for this RFP.
The purpose of this RFP is to engage services of a Service Provider to improve adoption of post-harvest loss
reduction practices across vitamin A cassava (VAC) and vitamin A maize (VAM) value chains in Nigeria, with
further emphasis on aflatoxin awareness and mitigation strategies for VAM, amongst key value chain actors
(i.e., farmer, input dealers, aggregators, transporters, food processors) in selected geographies in Nigeria.
The main objective is to improve adoption of post-harvest loss reduction practices across the VAC and VAM
value chains in Nigeria, with further emphasis on aflatoxin awareness and mitigation strategies for VAM,
amongst key value chain actors (i.e., farmer, input dealers, aggregators, transporters, food processors).
The scope of the work will focus on Kano, Oyo, Niger, Kaduna, Cross River, Osun and Oyo states.
The specific objectives are:
- Design and implement a strategy to support the adoption of post-harvest handling techniques of VAC and VAM crops post farm gate to retail markets. This includes, but is not limited to:
- handling, transportation, aggregation, and storage -pre-factory gate;
- handling and storage within processing facilities; and
- post factory handling, distribution, and storage/merchandising in retail/wholesale markets.
2. Conduct a sensitization campaign on Alfatoxin, targeting maize value chain actors across the
3. Improve adoption of aflatoxin control practices and the usage of AflasafeTM amongst VAM value
chain actors (i.e., input dealers, farmers, aggregators, transporters, food processors).
4. Build capacity of value chain actors on best control practices to address Aflatoxin build up along
the VAM value chain.
5. Facilitate market linkages amongst actors that have adopted control practices to optimise the
supply chain and deliver safe VAM crops and products.
Format for Proposal
The proposal needs to be formatted as two separate documents:
i. Description of previous relevant work (maximum 1 page);
ii. Composition of team with names and brief biographies of all key staff (maximum 3 pages);
iii. Detailed proposal explaining how the areas of work mentioned in Scope of Work will be addressed,
including risk and mitigation strategy and timeline (maximum 10 pages);
a. An outline of the proposed strategy and implementation plans to make businesses investment
ready strengthen in the eight states, including supporting rational illustrated with relevant Initial
b. Details on how the agency intends to build the capacities of selected businesses to make them
improve business efficiency and operations.
c. A plan on how agency will support businesses with linkages to credit/financial institutions.
ii. Detailed budget justification;
iii. Offer of services.
Key programme and technical staff from GAIN and HarvestPlus are part of the selection team of the
organisation and will review the proposals. They will be available via email to respond to clarifications on this
solicitation. Please direct all inquiries and other communications to email@example.com with the subject line:
Reducing PHL across VAM and VAC value chains in Nigeria. Reponses will not be confidential except in
cases where proprietary information is involved.
Deadline for applications
Completed proposals should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17:00 pm WAT on 22 July 2021.
For more information, please click here