Hosted by the Department of Science and Technology
Date: 25-29 June, 2018
Theme: Building BRICS Youth Leadership through Science, Technology and Innovation
Venue: Durban, South Africa
The decision to establish the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) Young Scientist Forum (YSF) was taken at the 2nd BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) Ministerial Meeting in Brazil in March 2015.
The 1st BRICS YSF was held in Bangalore, India in September 2016. At the 4th BRICS STI Ministerial Meeting in Jaipur, India in October 2016, the BRICS countries agreed to hold the BRICS YSF on a rotational basis.
The 2nd BRICS YSF was held in Hangzhou, China from 11 to 15 July 2017, prior to the 7th BRICS STI Senior Officials Meeting (SOM) and 5th BRICS STI Ministerial Meeting.
South Africa assumed the BRICS rotational Presidency on 1 January 2018 and will host the 10th BRICS Summit in July 2018. In line with the established tradition of previous BRICS Summits, South Africa will host a wide range of BRICS activities leading up to and following the Summit, including the 6th BRICS STI Ministerial Meeting and the 8th BRICS STI SOM.
As part of its BRICS STI activities, South Africa will host the 3rd BRICS YSF in line with the decision taken at the BRICS STI Jaipur Ministerial in October 2016.
The main goals of the 3rd BRICS YSF are:
- To promote youth driven creative solutions to the most pressing socio-economic problems in their societies;
- To promote academic and policy exchanges and dialogues amongst the BRICS youth; and
- To promote interactive contact between young scientists and established scientists and researchers from the BRICS member countries.
The 3rd BRICS YSF under the theme “Building BRICS Youth Leadership through Science, Technology and Innovation” will highlight the strategic importance of science, technology and innovation as key drivers of youth entrepreneurship and leadership. The thematic discussions will focus on energy, water and social science and specifically address issues related to the following:
- Energy – The Present and Future Energy Imperatives of BRICS Economies
- Water – The Strategic Importance of Water Resources in the Context of Climate Change
- Social Science – The Impact and Challenges of Modern ICT Technologies on Youth Identity and Cultural Choices