The Yale Young African Scholars Program is designed for African secondary school students who wish to pursue tertiary education and make meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
In order to apply to YYAS, applicants must fulfill all of the following requirements:
- You must be at least 14 years old by application deadline (06 February 2019) in order to be considered. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- You must currently attend school in an African country.
- If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest May/June 2020. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2019. Students who will graduate secondary school before August 2019 are NOT eligible to apply.
How to apply
The application can be found here and must be filled out by the applicant. Students will be asked to complete one 500-word essay and two short responses, and must provide information on their extracurricular activities and the school that they currently attend.
For more information please visit: https://africanscholars.yale.edu/admissions
Deadline for online application is: 06 February 2019