The first edition of the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science South African National Programme aims to promote and encourage young women in science. This programme identifies and rewards talented young female scientists in the field of Formal sciences, Life sciences, Environmental sciences, Physical sciences, Engineering and Technological sciences.
The Programme will honour, 7 talented South African women for the quality of their research and encourages them to pursue a career in science in any South African Province.
- 5 research grants of R80 000 each, will be granted to 5 PhD students enrolled at a South African institution and completing their doctorate in a research laboratory.
- 2 research grants of R165 000 each, will be granted to 2 South African post-doctoral researchers working in a laboratory or research institute registered in one of the South African provinces.
Applicants must meet the following general criteria:
- Having obtained a Ph.D. degree in Formal sciences, Life sciences, Environmental sciences, Physical sciences, Engineering and Technological sciences or pursuing studies leading to a Ph.D. degree at a South African university
- Be a South African Citizen
- Working in a Research Laboratory or Institution or being enrolled in a doctoral programme at a University in South Africa
- Candidates must be no more than 40 years old by the end of the application period for PhD and for Post-doctoral awards
How to apply
Applications can be only made through the online platform www.forwomeninscience.com by the candidates themselves.
Deadline for online submissions is 15 May 2019.