The South African Young Academy of Science (SAYAS), founded in September 2011, is calling for applications for new members. This letter is to request nominations of outstanding young scientists who may be elected as members of SAYAS. In the founding year (2011), 20 young scientists were elected. 10 new members have been elected progressively on an annual basis. After five years of service, members will become alumni and will be replaced by newly elected members.
To qualify for nomination, a candidate should meet the following criteria:
1. Be in possession of a PhD or equivalent degree in any field of scientific enquiry, where science is defined broadly as encompassing natural sciences, social sciences, arts and humanities, medical sciences and engineering;
2. Be under the age of 40 years and within 7 years from award of a PhD at the time of nomination. Nomination of candidates who deviate from this profile requires additional motivation;
3. Evidence of scientific excellence through a proven publication record, and receipt of honours and awards;
4. Evidence of activities demonstrating service to society;
5. Be willing to actively work towards achieving the goals of SAYAS.
Institutions/associations/individuals may nominate more than one candidate. Self-nominations shall also be considered, provided that the nomination is endorsed by the nominee’s institution. The 2019 Nomination form with guidelines for nominators can be accessed here.
Access more information on SAYAS at: www.sayas.org.za
Applicants are requested to complete the nomination form and send the completed form to Edith Shikumo, SAYAS Secretariat (Edith@assaf.org.za) by 13 May 2019. Unfortunately, any late submissions will not be accepted. Should you require any further information, please contact Edith Shikumo on tel: 012 349 6614.