This grant provides support for Ecologists in Africa to carry out innovative ecological research. We recognise that ecologists in Africa face unique challenges in carrying out research; our grant is designed to support you to develop your skills, experience and knowledge base as well as making connections with ecologists internationally. We support excellent ecological science in Africa by funding services and equipment.
How to apply
When applications open, register/log in to our online grants system, complete your contact details, and navigate to ‘Your Applications’.
We would recommend reading example applications in advance of applying, in order to assist you with writing your own application.
As part of the application process two referees will be required to submit statements of support. If you are applying for travel funds, one of these must be from your host institution.
These statements should include why the project is important, what support will be given to you and a statement that any equipment bought for the project will be made available for anyone in the host institution to conduct ecological research. We will automatically contact the referees using the email addresses provided in the application; both reference statements must be completed online before the application deadline. We cannot accept referee statements sent independently via email or by letter.
Eligibility and Conditions
- be a scientist and a citizen of a country in Africa or its associated islands, that is a ‘low-income economy’ or ‘lower-middle-income economy’ according to the World Bank categorisation **
- have at least an MSc or equivalent degree
- be working for a university or research institution in Africa (including field centres, NGOs, museums etc.) that provides basic research facilities
- carry out the research in a country in Africa or its associated islands
** This currently excludes – Botswana, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Libya, Namibia and South Africa.
- The maximum value of a grant is £8,000 for research. An additional sum up to £2,000 may be requested to fund travel to help you develop connections with other ecologists outside your usual peer group. This must be requested at the application stage.
- Travel funds are available to spend time working with ecologists in the Global North where facilities and experience will help you on return to your own institution.
- Successful applicants also receive two years of free BES membership and free online access to our journals.
For more information, please visit: https://www.britishecologicalsociety.org/funding/ecologists-in-africa/
Deadline for applications: 19 March 2021