Deadline for submission
Call closed; the information below is for reference purposes only.
This is a two-phased open call for funding of innovative technologies as part of the Flagship Grant. In this call, only the Concept Notes are submitted for evaluation. Thereafter, the selected applicants will be invited for training to refine their applications before submitting a full application. Flagship projects will assist innovators to demonstrate their technologies in the relevant environment or for scaling up.
NEPAD SANBio/BioFISA II Programme invites innovators from the 12  SADC countries) to submit an applications for grants to support innovative technologies in animal and human health under this Flagship Grant call.
Flagship projects have the following general guidelines:
- Projects proposed should have prototypes in place - this is a minimum requirement;
- The projects must ensure the involvement of at least three countries in any of the countries that SANBio operates in;
- The funding principle for projects will be that 60% of the funding will come from BioFISA II and 20% cash and 20% costed in-kind contribution from the project implementation partner .
Applications for the Flagship Project Grants should be innovations in the human and animal health thematic areas and in line with the following priority areas:
Solutions proposed in human health, should deliver socio-economic value through technology innovation in healthcare products and services, addressing the diagnosis, prevention and/or treatment of priority diseases in Southern Africa. These include HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, respiratory diseases, cancer and non-communicable diseases such as diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
Technology focus areas include:
- Medical Devices e.g. wearable technologies
- Diagnostics, e.g. point-of-care or surveillance
- Non-invasive detection tools
- Remote monitoring systems
Health-related agriculture issues:
- Animal health (diagnostics)
The duration for Flagship projects shall not exceed 24 months.
Up to Rand 4.5 million can be provided by the SANBio/BioFISA II Programme per project.
Application documents and guidelines have been archived in the Document Library section.
 Angola, Botswana, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Lesotho, South Africa, Seychelles, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe
 If a grant amount of R4.5 million is requested, the implementation partners should provide at least R1 500 000 as cash contribution and R1 500 000 as costed in-kind contribution